In this course the dispatcher will learn about well being checks. This call type can be mundane and quite rudimentary, but in many cases can run the gambit of complexity and quickly requires many resources to service them effectively. The class will use exercises, role-play, case law, video review and personal experience to impart on dispatchers this knowledge to bolster their current educational basis.
Additionally, the class will review and practice investigative questioning techniques with specific examples, both imaginary and real-life, to effect the best outcome for the safety of responders, as some callers are hesitant to provide key information.
Dispatchers will also review and understand the importance of identifying different caller types and circumstances, with a focus on ensuring all applicable information is collected, and no call for service of this type is furnished without an appropriate standard of care.
Upon completion of this course the dispatcher will be able to:
- Identify caller types
- Identify key questions that may be specific to different caller types
- Understand the complexity of a well being check with all variables
- List required items needed for both routine and involved well being checks
- Utilize key questioning techniques to speak to callers requesting a well being check
- Effectively isolate potentially dangerous information about both the caller and target of a well being check in order to notify responders